Erwin Heerich: Skulptur und der architektonische Raum
Verlag der Buchhandlung Walther Konig, 1997
out of stock
Monography. From 1945 to 1950 Heerich (1922-2204) studied fine arts at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf under Ewald Mataré. From 1950 to 1954, he belonged, together with Joseph Beuys, to the master class of his professor. At that time, he chiefly produced sculptures representing animals and drawings of plants. In 1954, he left the Düsseldorf academy and worked as an artist and art teacher. Since 1959, he used cardboard as his artistic material.
Heerich emphasized that for him, “cardboard, like polystyrene, had no specifically aesthetic or historical connotations, the materials are value-neutral to the largest possible extent.” Furthermore, the artist was not primarily “concerned with the manifestation of an art object, but with making an idea material in terms of a specific problem: how space can be presented and formed.”
From 1969 to 1988 he was a professor at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf.
Heerich is also known for the eleven exhibition pavilions he created for the Museum Insel Hombroich, which were called “chapels in the landscape”. His elemental sculptures became the design base for these gallery pavilions.